Mercosur - European Union Trade Agreement: Risks and Challenges for Indigenous Peoples in Brazil
- Publisher: IWGIA
- Author: Ricardo Verdum
- Number of pages: 38
- ISBN number: 978-87-93961-46-3
- Publication language: English
- Country publication is about: Brazil, Brasil
- Financially supported by: IWGIA
- Release year: 2021
- Release month / day: Sep/01
- Download URL: https://iwgia.org/doclink/mercosur-report-brazil-2021-en/eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJtZXJjb3N1ci1yZXBvcnQtYnJhemlsLTIwMjEtZW4iLCJpYXQiOjE2MzA2NzAzNTAsImV4cCI6MTYzMDc1Njc1MH0.gB5yLyqyGpW5IwvqV_4LjYHowHx-sYDVBxuDWEpYYR4
In this report, we will see that the situation of the land rights of Indigenous Peoples and communities is at extreme risk of setback, especially as a result of a coalition of forces under the coordination of sectors interested in expanding the agricultural frontier over Indigenous Lands.
The advantages that the Parties may eventually gain through the Agreement between Mercosur and the European Union will, conversely, be a disaster for the Indigenous Peoples and communities of Brazil.
The report is based on an analysis of academic literature, policy documents and legislation, documents produced by civil society (Indigenous, environmental and human rights organizations), and short interviews with key sources.
The report was prepared by Ricardo Verdum, a social scientist, doctor in social anthropology from Latin America and the Caribbean. He is coordinator of the Indigenous Affairs Committee of the Brazilian Association of Anthropology.